Email MePaul Hollender
He often engages in speaking and educational programs. He has served as chairman of a Continuing Legal Education seminar sponsored by the New York County Lawyers Association entitled Ethical Issues for Bankruptcy Lawyers; co-chairman and presenter of a program at NYCLA in advance of the implementation of the 2005 Bankruptcy Reform Act; and a presenter at the 2007 NYCLA seminar on the effect of the new law. Other presentations include panel discussions sponsored by the Bankruptcy Court, and Continuing Education programs for attorneys and accountants.
Hollender has contributed to the New York State Bar Journal and the New York Law Journal. In addition, he writes a newsletter entitled Bankruptcy Notes, which guides attorneys and accountants on the impacts of Bankruptcy Law. He currently writes a Blog on Bankruptcy topics on the firm’s website. He was a regular contributor and served for many years on the Editorial Board for the Bankruptcy Bar Bulletin, eventually becoming Editor in Chief in the late 1980's.
Since 1993 Hollender has been designated "Board Certified" by the American Board of Certification, in both Consumer Bankruptcy Law and Business Bankruptcy Law, joining a select list of National Bankruptcy Attorneys. He served on the Board of Directors of the American Board of Certification from 2006-2012. Hollender is the only Board-Certified Bankruptcy attorney in Staten Island. Hollender also received the Martindale-Hubbell "AV" peer-rating Preeminent Attorney 5.0 out of 5, the highest such rating available to any individual lawyer. The "AV" rating shows that a lawyer has reached the height of professional excellence, having practiced law for many years, and being recognized for the highest levels of skill and integrity. Hollender is one of an elite group bankruptcy attorneys selected for inclusion in the Super Lawyers NY Metro Directory annually since 2007. He also has earned the coveted 10 out of 10 rating on the Avvo legal rating directory.
Hollender is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute and the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys.
Hollender is also a trained Mediator, and sits on the Mediation Panels of the U.S. Bankruptcy Courts for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York.
Hollender has served as a member of the Bankruptcy Committees of the New York County Lawyers Association, the Brooklyn Bar Association, and is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute. In 1984, he became active in the Bankruptcy Lawyers Bar Association, serving for five years as a member of its Board of Directors.
He prides himself on his compassion for his clients and his commitment to help each client develop a personalized financial management plan, rather than offering “cookie-cutter” solutions that may not meet the client’s personal preferences.
Hollender is also a member of the New York State Bar Association and the Richmond County Bar Association (Staten Island) where he served as a director for six years and as Fee Arbitration Chairman for four years and continues to serve on the Fee Arbitration Committee. For five years, he served as representative to the Network of Bar Leaders, a city-wide organization, acting as treasurer from 1992-1995.
Typical clients include individuals who have suffered unexpected financial setbacks (due to job-loss, loss of overtime, matrimonial issues, medical problems, family difficulties such as children with disabilities, drug or criminal problems, death of a family member) or who have just had trouble keeping up with the high cost of raising a family.
Other clients include business owners who need some “breathing time,” taxi medallion owners who can no longer pay their loans due to Uber and who can’t sell or refinance because there is no longer a market for medallions, and homeowners who have fallen behind on their mortgages.
He also represents creditors who have been listed in another’s bankruptcy, or individuals or companies who have been sued by a bankruptcy trustee.
Having graduated magna cum laude from the State University of New York at Buffalo, Hollender went on to its law school to obtain his law degree in 1975. He is admitted to practice in New York State, the U.S. District Courts of the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court.
Areas of Practice
- Bankruptcy Law
- Business & Commercial Law
- Litigation & Appeals
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified in both Consumer Bankruptcy Law and Business Bankruptcy Law, American Board of Certification
- Member Mediation Panel, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of New York
- Member Mediation Panel, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York
- New York, 1976
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1980
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- University at Buffalo Law School, Buffalo, New York
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence - 1975
- State University of New York College, Buffalo, New York
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts magna cum laude - 1971
- "Criminal Consequences of Concealing Assets in Bankruptcy", New York Law Journal, June 2, 1998
- "How to Get Paid in a Bankruptcy Case Part I", New York Law Journal, October 15, 1999
- "How to Get Paid in a Bankruptcy Case Part II", New York Law Journal, October18, 1999
- A Bankruptcy Primer for Matrimonial Attorneys, Richmond County Bar Bulletin
- Newsletter, Bankruptcy Notes (Consumer Edition), Bankruptcy Explained
- "Bankruptcy Reform '94 - Something for Everyone", New York State Bar Journal, March/April, 1995
- Bankruptcy Notes: Professional Edition, Corash & Hollender, February, 2000
- Houston Oiltanking, L.P. (Storage facility serving Oil Refineries)
- Citrus Trading Corp. (Enron Subsidiary)
- Florida Gas Transmission Co., (Enron Subsidiary)
- American Electric Power (Energy Company)
- MicroSlate Corp. (Computer Manufacturer)
- iVillage Inc. (Internet Marketing Company)
- Power Resource Operating Company, Inc. (Energy Marketing Company)
- Paolo Gucci (Fashion Designer)
- Thousands of Consumer Bankruptcy Clients
- Consumer Bankruptcy Practice Under 2005 Bankruptcy Act, New York County Lawyers Association
- Speaker, Ethical Issues for Bankruptcy Lawyers, New York County Lawyers Association
- Tax Issues in Bankruptcy, NYS Society of CPA's
- The Intersection of Bankruptcy and Matrimonial Law, Richmond County Bar Association
- Bankruptcy, Richmond County Bar Association
- Bankruptcy and the Small Business
- Bankruptcy: The Debtor's Perspective, Richmond County Bar Association
- Bankruptcy and Foreclosure, Richmond County Bar Association
- Highlights of Chapter 11 Practice, Richmond County Bar Association
- The Struggling Business, The Staten Island Rotary Club
- Consumer Bankruptcy Practice One Year After the 2005 Reform Act New York County Lawyer's Association
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Board of Certification, Director, 2006 - 2012
- American Board of Certification (certifying Bankruptcy Specialists), Member of Board of Directors and Standards Committee, 1997 - Present
- Bankruptcy Bar Bulletin, Editor in Chief (1989-1991), Editorial Board (1982-1991)
- Richmond County Bar Association, Bankruptcy Notes Editor (1983 - 1990), Director (1981-1987)
- Richmond County Bar Association, Fee Arbitration Chairman (1995- 1998)
- Richmond County Bar Association, Fee Arbitration Member, 1995 - Present
- New York State Bar Association
- Bankruptcy Lawyers Bar Association, Board of Governors, 1982 - 1991
- Staten Island Family Service, Board of Directors, 1986 - 1989
- New York County Lawyers Association, Chairman, CLE Seminar, Ethical Issues for Bankruptcy Lawyers, Member, Committee on Business Bankruptcy
- New York County Lawyers Association, Member, Bankruptcy Committee
- Brooklyn Bar Association, Committee on Bankruptcy
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Network of Bar Leaders, Treasurer (1992 - 1995)
- Presentation of Testimony, May 1997 to National Bankruptcy Review Commission on Behalf of the New York County Lawyers Association, Regarding Small Business Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Reorganizations
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
Past Employment Positions
- New York Supreme Court, Appellate Division, Second Department, Confidential Law Assistant, 1976 - 1977